Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Avia Austin Tri Race Report

This was a great race, very well organized.  The weather cooperated and it cooled off but was very windy!  I did the Olympic, my 3rd

Swim

Mass start by age group.  Wish they had started the swim in front of the dock rather than beside it.  It made for a more crowded start but no big deal.  After a few hundred meters things spread out. 

Good idea to get out in front of the pack if you are a decent swimmer.

Rectangular course was pretty simple to follow.  The swim was not wet-suit legal, the water temp was over 80 degrees.

I had trouble with my goggles and did most of the swim with water in my eyes.

T1

Pretty good hike to get out of the transition area and on to the bike.  Next year I’ll work on keeping the shoes clipped in, I had trouble clipping in for some reason.  It’s wasn’t too muddy so I think this would work well.

Bike

It was pretty windy which affected the bike for sure but it was easily manageable.

The course is well market and pretty fast.  There’s 3 u-turns.

The course was not near as crowded as CapTex.

There’s only one little hill coming back up the ramp to Cesar Chavez.  That caught some people off guard.

I had 2 Gu’s and two bottles of Gatorade during the ride.


Run

There was a snafu on the run course that caused some of the pro guys to get DQ’s.  I could see how that would happen if you were leading the run, but I didn’t exactly have that problem

The run is very flat and winds around auditorium shores.  Had two more Gu’s and a couple cups of water.


Overall, I had a good race at 2:33 which was my fastest oly time.  I had a bad swim due to the water in the eyes issue, a decent bike at 21 mph, and a good run under a 7:30/minute pace.

It was the first race that I didn’t fall apart and end up walking the run.

No comments:

Post a Comment