Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Lake Travis Triathlon Report - 2011

This is my first race report and I will be more detailed in the future, I did this race months ago......

Swim - 500M


The swim start in a pretty wide cove in a wave start.  The cove is wide enough so that the start isnt too frenetic, there's plenty of space.  The course is a big triangle.




The lake level was very low and it has been very windy here lately....that resulted in two things:

1. A surf!  Swimming into the wind was tough with the waves it created.  I hadn't experienced this before and seemed to get a gulp of water everytime I tried to breath.  Once you made the first turn right of the "triangle", it became much easier.  The second turn became even easier since you now had the waves to your back.

2. A long run to Transition.  Up hill through rocks and grass with stickers, probably 400M.  I dropped sandals by the edge of the water.  It was a life saver.  Many did not, its a must

Bike - 20K

 2 laps around a 6 mile loop.  Traffic was limited to one lane and was no problem.  Good roads.  Seemed  to have more hills that it did:

Here's my garmin data:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/81480876

Run - 5K

The 5K run is through a trail that is mostly gravel and flat.  Pretty easy course, but since the start was late (9, I think), it was pretty hot by the time you were to the run.

But since its a trail its a little slow.  But it was also short.  I average 7:44/mile, but should've around 7:15 or so.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/81480882

The race was very well organized and the volunteers were great.

I wasn't happy with my race (I never am) but I came in 4th in my age group which is the best I have ever done.

Will definitely do it next year so I have a shot at the top 3

Take aways for New Triathletes:


-Bring some kind of footwear from the swim to T1.  Tennis shoes or sandals you can easily run in work best.  Put them right by the swim exit and run up the hill to the transition area in them.


-Be prepared for a little surf and get in rhythm where you are breathing between the waves.  

No comments:

Post a Comment