Wednesday, July 6, 2011

New to Swimming Advice

Swimming is the most intimidating part of a triathlon to most people.  The first time I tried to swim I was exhausted after 25 meters.  It seemed impossible and was very discouraging.




I did two things that I wish I knew upfront that made swimming much easier:

1.  Terry Laughlin Swimming Video - Swimming is mostly technique.  Once you learn the basics of breathing and stroke, it becomes much easier.  I watched these videos and got a sense of the basic mechanics of how to swim and breathe.  I got them on netflix, but here's a link to their site:

www.totalimmersion.net

2.  Masters Swim - Once you can swim about 200 M straight (doesnt matter how fast), join a masters swim class.

A msters swim class is simply a class for adults lead by an experienced swim coach.  They prepare workouts for the class and help students with technique.  I have been in 3 different masters swim class and the people range from beginners to very fast swimmers, so there's nothing to be intimidated about.

If you do these 2 things, you will become very comfortable swimming quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment